Please make an appointment in advance (請儘可能事先預約時段)
本學期成績如右檔，如有任何問題或想看期末考卷，請於1月26日前和我連絡，逾期不更改成績。Your final scores are listed on the right file. If you have any question or you like to look at your final examine sheets, please contact me before January 26. The scores cannot be changed after Jan 26. Final Scores (final)
In this course, we will discuss two most fundamental problems in communication systems, namely, minimum data representation and reliable communication. The focus is the well-known Shannon’s three theorems: source coding, channel coding and rate distortion theorems.
T.M. Cover and J.A. Thomas, Elements of Information Theory, 2nd ed., Wiley 2006. Grading
Midterm Examine: 30% (2 hours, open book)
Final Examine: 35% (2 hours, open book)
"道爾頓(John Dalton, 1766-1844, 化學原子論開創者) 認為講義是用來鼓勵(引導)學生的，不能取代學生自己的探索。" 張文亮: 回到起初, p.109, 時報出版 2003.
(John Dalton: Classnotes are meant for guiding students; they should not replace the students' own quest for knowledge.)
- Chapter 1: Information and Entropy
- Chapter 2: Source Coding
- Chapter 3: Channel Coding (I)
- Chapter 4: Channel Coding (II)
- Chapter 5: Rate-distortion Theory
- Chapter 6: Differential Entropy/Gaussian Channel
- Chapter 7: RD Theory for Continuous Sources
1. R. W. Yueng (楊偉豪, 香港中文大學), Information Theory and Network Coding, Springer, 2008.
2. R.G. Gallager, Principles of Digital Communications, Cambridge, 2008.
3. R.G. Gallager, Information Theory and Reliable Communications, Wiley, 1968.
4. R.E. Blahut, Principles and Practices of Information Theory, Addison Wesley,1987.